Yesterday, Muhammadu Buhari released an official acceptance speech after the electoral commission handed him the “certificate of return”—the documents that officially grants him the status as president-elect.
The speech has been making its rounds on the internet. Click HERE to read our analysis of the speech.
Here are the 10 best quotes:
1. Our long night has passed and the daylight of new democratic governance has broken across the land.
2. This is not the first time Nigerians have cast their votes for us, and this is not the first time they have been counted; but this is the first time that the votes have been allowed to count.
3. This will not be a government democratic only in form. It will be a government democratic in substance.
4. I pledge myself and the government to the rule of law, in which none shall be so above the law that they are not subject to its dictates, and none shall be so below it that they are not availed of its protection.
5. There shall no longer be a ruling party again: APC will be your governing party…We shall never rule over the people as if they were subservient to government.
6. You shall be able to go to bed knowing that you are safe and that your constitutional rights remain in safe hands.
7. I shall work for those who voted for me as well as those who voted against me and even for those who did not vote at all. We all live under one name as one nation: we are all Nigerians.
8. [Corruption] shall no longer be allowed to stand as if it is a respected monument in this nation.
9. Along the way, there will be victories but there may also be setbacks. Mistakes will be made. But we shall never take you for granted.
10. Our errors will be those of compassion and commitment not of willful neglect and indifference.
Image via MTV Base