It’s the season of fellowship applications, and here’s your chance to be selected as a fellow for the 2021 Adventurous Writing and Social Media Fellowship Program!
The fellowship is administered by Adventures From The Bedrooms of African Women, a blog started by Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah and Malaka Grant “as a space for African Women to share experiences of Sex and our diverse Sexualities.” It aims to “seek out, support and amplify feminist content creators and their own singular vision.”
The fellowship is open to women and non-binary/gender non-conforming writers and content creators of African descent living on the continent. Two Writing Fellowships and one Social Media fellowship will be awarded, with the fellowship duration running over a period of five months.
The benefits include:
- Editorial support from Adventures editors to prepare publications across our various platforms;
- A $400 monthly honorarium, for a term of 5 months ($2000);
- An opportunity for your work to be presented at the annual Adventures Live! Festival in November, 2021.
- 18 years and above at the time of application submission.
- Values an intersectional feminist framework and demonstrates commitment to the principles of feminism and human rights anti-oppression.
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse communities and be respectful of the identities and opinions of others.
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in issues around women’s sex, sexuality and other related issues.
- Strong computer and IT skills, including using the Internet, Google suite, skype, calendar, emailing, word processing, spreadsheets, web posting using content management software including wordpress etc.
- The Social Media Fellow should be knowledgeable and comfortable with using social media tools and have experience of media engagement.
Applications can only be made electronically. There is no application fee. Entrants should attach the following in their submission;
- A personal essay containing a one-paragraph biographical statement; one paragraph explaining why women’s sexual rights, pleasure, health and reproductive rights is important to you and how you hope to impact the Adventures Community with your work as an Adventurous fellow.
- Samples of your writing of between 500 – 1000 words. These can be submitted as links or in .pdf or .docx format.
- Samples of your illustrations, graphics, audio/video content.
Go here to apply by February 20!