The SprinNG Women Authors Prize is currently open for submissions.
The prize, in its third year, is awarded to a woman of Nigerian descent for a full-length book. It was set up by the literary organization The Society for the Promotion, Revitalization, and Improvement of New Nigerian Generations (SprinNG) with the aim of increasing opportunities for women writers in Nigeria. Perks of winning the prize includes a monetary investment in the purchasing, distributing, and marketing of a winning book.
The prize has grown since it was first established. The first edition, which went to Cheluchi Onyemelukwe’s The Son of the House, invested up to N200,000 in promotion of the book, as did the second edition which went to Ukamaka Olisakwe’s Ogadinma. The third edition comes with a few changes. The prize organizers announced that the prize will now be awarded to two women annually, instead of one, with an increased monetary investment of N300,000 each. Kudos to investing in the success of women writers.
Applications for the prize opened on July 1 and will close on September 30, 2022.
See the Submission Guidelines below:
- The applicant must be a female Nigerian author between ages 21 – 45.
- Applicants can only submit one book for the nomination in the select genres listed in our application.
- Eligible genres: Only poetry (Collection of poetry or prose poems), fiction (novels, collection of short stories), and nonfiction (memoirs and essays) are eligible for application. We are NOT ACCEPTING children’s books, plays, or drama for this prize.
- The nominated book can be of any theme.
- The nominated book can be self-published or released by a publisher between 2015 and September 2022.
- The book nominated must be available in print for purchase in Nigeria.
- There is no region-eligibility requirement for the author – meaning that the author can be a Nigerian currently residing outside the country.
- Previous finalists and semi-finalists cannot reapply.
- We require a self-nomination process, meaning that prospective applicants will complete the application and nominate themselves.
The semi-finalists and prize winners will be announced in December 2022.
Go here for more details.