The Conference on Land Policy in Africa (CLPA) invites submissions of short stories exploring the theme of “Land Governance Towards the Africa We Want.”
The call for submissions is open to African creatives based on the continent and the diaspora. It asks writers to re-imagine land governance in Africa by writing short stories centered on the theme as part of the 2021 CLPA conference coming up on November 2-4. Selected authors will be acknowledged and invited to participate in a workshop to enhance their submissions. The three best short stories will be awarded and two others will get Special Mention during the CLPA.
The conference is a joint initiative of the African Union Commission, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the African Development Bank.
As elaborated in the Press Release
“The short stories will show the complexity of land issues in Africa and the opportunities that land provides to communities for, among others, food, identity, spirituality, culture, and heritage. Land is also a site of struggle, tension and creativity. The stories will interrogate questions such as: How would rural and urban areas in Africa look like if there was very poor land governance? How would it be fixed to support the Africa We Want? How can that experience be told artistically through the lens of African characters and sensitivity to landscapes?” (Continue here.)
- Writers are encouraged to explore narratives from the following genres: Afrofuturism, Science Fiction, Action Adventure, Fantasy, Speculative fiction, Suspense, YA, Historical Fiction, Mystery/Crime and Literary Fiction.
- Submissions should be in English and French
- Submissions should be between 2,000 to 3000 words.
- Only one submission per entry.
- Short stories should be in double space and in 12 font Times Roman and not more than 3000 words.
- Translated works are welcomed.
- Previously published stories are welcomed, but authors should indicate, for permission purposes.
- Submission must be author’s own work.
Interested writers should attach an introduction alongside their submission in Microsoft word and send to [email protected] with the subject “Short Story Submission on Land Governance towards the Africa We Want.”
Deadline: 31st August 2021
Read the full PR here.