Finnish-Nigerian feminist author Minna Salami is transforming her renowned book Sensuous Knowledge into an online course titled “A Black Feminist Course for Everyone“. The 5-week online course will be taught by Salami herself from May 29 to June 26. (Update: There has been another course added from July 31 to August 28.)
This interactive and in-depth course will introduce participants to an alternative model of knowledge: sensuous knowledge. Through a Black feminist reimagining of knowledge, we will reimagine what it means to be human, invite planetary intersectionality, and connect critical and scientific ways of knowing with erotic, poetic, and ecofeminist ways of Black feminist knowing.
Read our review of Salami’s book Sensuous Knowledge here. Here is a glimpse into what sensuous knowledge means for Salami and what we can expect from the course:
The course will include weekly live Zoom sessions every Monday from 6–8pm UK time and all sessions will be recorded. Sessions will include lectures, conversation, and tons of dialogue to probe deeper into discussed topics. Each session will also have an associated discussion forum (Discord thread) hosted on the course Discord channel, where you can share comments, questions, and further ideas.
Some of the learning outcomes for the course include:
- Africa-centric, feminist, and artistic traditions that help us rediscover the world
- Feminist awareness that connects personal experiences to universal paradigms
- A new, sensuous, approach to knowledge grounded in global perspectives
- How Black feminist theory contributes to activism, arts, culture, and more
- What Black feminism tells us about the “poly-crisis”
- Ways of knowing rooted not only in the mind but also in the body and spirit
- How to write and think kaleidoscopically and without borders
Minna Salami is a Nigerian, Finnish, and Swedish feminist author and social critic currently at The New Institute. Minna’s academic background is in Political Science and Gender Studies with a specialization in feminist theory. She is the founder of the multi-award-winning blog MsAfropolitan which has drawn over a million readers. She has written Can Feminism Be African? (forthcoming 2024) and Sensuous Knowledge: A Black Feminist Approach for Everyone (2020).
Go here for more info about Salami’s online course.
General admission tickets are £190. Register here.