The Nigeria Prize For Literature is now accepting submissions for its 2022 edition. The $100,000 award, which is endowed by Nigeria LNG Limited, is one of the world’s richest literary honors in the world, for a single published work. It is awarded rotationally every year across four genres: poetry, prose fiction, drama and children’s literature. This year’s call is for poetry.
Writers and publishers are invited to submit works of poetry for consideration. The competition is open only to published works by Nigerians irrespective of location. Last year’s prize, for fiction, was awarded to Cheluchi Onyemelukwe-Onuobia for her debut novel The Son of the House.
They are also accepting submissions of literary criticism. The criticism award, valued at N1 Million is annually conferred to the best critical essay by a Nigerian writer/critic. Last year’s winner was the Nigerian academic Uchechukwu Peter Umezurike for his article “Self Publishing in the Era of Military Rule,” published in the Journal of African Cultural Studies.
The judges for the 2022 prizes are Prof. Sule Emmanuel Egya (Chairman), Toyin Adewale-Gabriel, and Dike Chukwumerije. The advisory board includes previous winner Prof Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo (Chair); Prof. Olu Bafemi, and Prof. Ahmed Yerima.
- All applicants must complete and submit their entries online via www.thenigeriaprizes.org. Applicants must also include websites where e-copies of their publication can be purchased.
- Twelve (12) copies of entry and e-copies with evidence of Nigerian citizenship (photocopy of Nigerian passport or National Identity Card) may be submitted either by author or publisher. Books should be submitted to Nigeria LNG Limited’s External Relations Division, promoters of the prize, by stipulated deadline.
- No books published before January 2018 will be accepted.
- An author will enter only one published work. Unpublished work will not be considered. No book previously submitted for this competition may be resubmitted at a latter date, even if major revisions have been made or a new edition published. The prize will be awarded for no other reason than excellence.
- No member of the Advisory board or Panel of Judges can enter their work(s) for the award in the period in which they are serving and two years thereafter. No entries will be entertained from members of the LNG staff and their families.
- Failure to meet all stated conditions above will lead to disqualification of the entry.
Entries should be sent to:
The Nigeria Prize for Literature,
External Relations Division,
Nigeria LNG Limited,
Corporate Head Officer
NLNG Road, Amadi Creek,
Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
For more details, go here.