Lethe Press is seeking submissions for its 2017 Best Gay Stories anthology.
The project will be edited by Joe Okonkwo whose evocative debut novel Jazz Moon we covered in a recent interview.
As with past volumes of their Best Gay Stories series, Lethe Press is seeking quality works of fiction, creative non-fiction, and essays that capture gay life in its entirety and range and complexity.
Selected authors will be paid for their submissions.
Deadline: March 15, 2017.
Like past volumes of our Best Gay Stories series, Lethe Press is seeking quality works of fiction, creative non-fiction, and essays for the 2017 volume. All stories must have been previously published during 2016 (and we are only seeking stories that were first published that year). Submissions should be sent to the attention of Joe via email at [email protected] with the header BGS2017 Submission. Please inform us in the body of the email where the story was published in 2016. BGS has included some erotic and speculative fiction stories in the past, but the primary focus is on stories that can be appreciated by readers seeking the breadth and depth of gay male experience. We encourage authors who have a diverse background to submit. Payment is upon publication and will range from $25 to $75 depending on the length of the work. Stories must be submitted by the deadline of March 15th, 2017.
Lethe Press is also calling for manuscripts.
- We seek manuscripts that are a minimum of 45,000 words but no more than 135,000 words (and we are very, very selective on submissions more than 100,000 words).
- We are primarily interested in queer speculative fiction. That is our specialty. We are willing to read and consider other genres (however, we have more resources to apply to such titles).
- Currently we are only interested in reading poetry manuscripts for our Tincture imprint.
- When submitting, please email to Steve Berman (at [email protected]) a synopsis of your ms. and the first three chapters as a RTF file or MS Word document. Please include a cover letter (you may list previous publications) and give us a sense why you have chosen to submit to Lethe Press.
- Obviously we will not consider any title that has a negative perspective of LGBT individuals.
- Please allow us 120 days to respond to your query; we do not consider simultaneous submissions.
We hope to have a cogent African representation when the anthology comes out. So: submit!
Good luck everyone!
[Please Note: Brittle Paper is not responsible for the organization or further promotion of this publication, neither do we have a stake in its popularity. Address any inquiry to [email protected]. Thank you. ]