Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, 2010 winner of the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for Best First Book (Africa), and Nnamdi Oguike, one of the winners of the 2019 Miles Morland Foundation Writing Scholarship, are among the writers lined up for events at the 2019 Crater Literary Festival. An initiative of Crater Library & Publisher in collaboration with AfricaWeek UK, the festival, which is in its third edition, will take place between December 12 and December 14, 2019. Other notable writers who will be present at the festival are Ositadinma Amakaeze, Dillibe Onyeama, and Ifeoma Onwugbufor. Literary and cultural figures such as Ken Ike Okere a.k.a. The Slam Master and the Enugu Literary Society will also be present in attendance.
The theme of the festival this year is “Literary Renaissance in Africa.” The festival will feature creative and technical writing workshops, panel sessions, book readings and chat session, drama and poetry performances, as well as an art exhibition and talk. The discussions at the festival aim to educate and enlighten attendees on the role of literary development in the shaping of African culture and society. Among the activities to be held during the festival are:
- a creative writing workshop at Techx Innovation Hub, Enugu, on December 12
- panel discussions, book reading sessions, poetry performances, stage plays, and book sales, at the Main Hall of the University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus
During October this year, the festival also administered four literary competitions across Nigeria. These competitions were:
- the Dr. Emmanuel C. Adukwu Prize for Literature – N50,000 Prize
- the Mrs. Paula Chinwe Okafor Prize for Creative Non-Fiction – N200,000 Prize
- CraterLitFest/iSERVE2050 Book Pitch Competition – N100,000 Research Grant
- the Loretta Ogboro-Okor Prize for Short Story Fiction – N50,000 Prize
Winners of these competitions will be announced at the festival on December 14.
Note that the Crater Literary Festival is free. For more information, contact the festival manager at [email protected] or +2348060011469. To keep up to date with news of the festival, follow #CraterLitFest19, @CraterLitFest and @africaweekuk on Twitter and Facebook.