The SprinNG Women Authors Prize is currently accepting submissions for its 2021 edition.
Launched in 2020, the prize which is run by literary organization The Society for the Promotion, Revitalization, and Improvement of New Nigerian Generations (SprinNG), aims to increase opportunities for women writers in Nigeria.
According to the organizers, the prize was set up with the intent to address the unequal gender representation in the Nigerian literary space, as far as awards and recognitions go.
The prize will therefore “select a Nigerian female author—someone who has published a full-length book in print—and invest N200,000 in purchasing, distributing, and marketing copies of their book nation-wide.”
The first prize edition went to Cheluchi Onyemelukwe-Onuobia for her debut novel The Son of the House, from a shortlist that included Azizah Idris M’s A Sackful of Wishes and Olaoluwa Oni’s The YNBA.
The 2021 edition will accept submissions of published books from Nigerian women authors, living in Nigeria or the diaspora. Note that the process is self-nomination. In essence, prospective applicants will complete the application and nominate themselves.
See the full Submissions Guidelines below;
- Applicants can only submit one book for the nomination in the select genres listed in our application.
- Eligible genres: Only Poetry (Collection of poetry or prose poems), fiction (novels, collection of short stories), and nonfiction (memoirs and essays) are eligible for application. We are NOT ACCEPTING children’s books, plays, or drama for this prize.
- The nominated book can be of any theme.
- The nominated book can be self-published or released by a publisher between 2015 and September 2021.
- The book nominated must be available in print for purchase in Nigeria.
- There is no region-eligibility requirement for the author – meaning that the author can be a Nigerian currently residing outside the country.
- Previous finalists and semi-finalists cannot reapply.
Apply here https://tinyurl.com/SWAPAP21
For more information on the prize, go here. http://www.sprinng.org/swap