The 26th edition of the Time of the Writer festival is coming up in March and unpublished writers will get a chance to publish their short story in an anthology and win R5000 in this competition. The theme is Placemarking: Roots, Imagination, Expression, Influence.
Writers can submit an original short story (fiction) of 1500-2000 words in either English or isiZulu. The first place winner in English and isiZulu will each receive R5000. The top five writers will be mentored by a published author in a series of writing workshops and have their short story published in an anthology this year.
The competition will be judged by Niq Mhlongo, Shafinaaz Hassim, Phindile Dlamini, and Themba Qwabe. The 26th Time of the Writer fest will run from March 16 to 21 in Durban, South Africa and is hosted by the Centre for Creative Arts.
- Writers must be residents of South Africa.
- Writers must be at least 18 years old.
- The short story must not have appeared in any other publication (print or digital) previously.
- The short story must be written in either English or isiZulu.
- The short story must include a title.
- The author’s name must not be typed on the manuscript.
- The font should be 12-point Times New Roman and 1.5-point line spacing.
- The short story must not exceed 2000 words.
- The applicant must follow Time of the Writer on Facebook and/or Instagram and send us their social media handle.
Deadline: March 10, 2023
Good luck to all applicants! For further information, go here.