The Miles Morland Foundation African Writers’ Scholarship is currently accepting accepting applications for its 2020 program. It is an initiative of the Miles Morland Foundation, which also administers the prestigious and separate Morland Writing Scholarship. This Scholarship is awarded to a postgraduate student within the University of East Anglia’s School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing to enable them to study for the MA Creative Writing (Prose Fiction) or the MA Biography and Creative Non-Fiction courses. Previous recipients include the Kenyan writer and editor Troy Onyango and the Nigerian writer Zainab Omaki.
- Level: Postgraduate
- Fees: International
- School: Literature, Drama and Creative Writing
- Course: MA Creative Writing (Prose Fiction) or MA Biography and Creative Non-Fiction
- Country of Birth: Any country within Africa or
- Nationality: Any country within Africa or
- Other Criteria: Both parents born in Africa (If the scholarship is awarded on this basis, copies of both parents’ passports must be provided as evidence to the UEA at point of acceptance of the scholarship.)
The scholarship covers:
- Total Value: Up to £25,000 to cover tuition fees and a maintenance grant.
- Tuition fees or maintenance: Both
- Number available: 1
Please note that in order to be considered for the creative writing donor-funded scholarship programme, you will need to have submitted both your scholarship application and have applied for the MA in Creative Writing (Prose Fiction) by 12 noon on Friday 1 May. It is possible that you might not have a response about the outcome of your course application by this date, but you should still submit a scholarship application by this deadline if you wish to be considered for scholarships.
If you have applied for the scholarship, you will be considered for any of the scholarships below for which you are eligible. You do not need to submit a second application for any of these scholarships.
- The UEA Crowdfunded BAME Writers’ Scholarship
- The Kowitz Scholarship
- The Malcolm Bradbury Memorial Scholarship
- The John Boyne Scholarship
- The Annabel Abbs Scholarship
- The Seth Donaldson Memorial Bursary
- The Bourne Scholarship
- The UEA Booker Prize Foundation Scholarship
- The John Jarrold Scholarship in Creative Writing (Prose Fiction)
Go here for details of the terms and conditions.