The African Speculative Fiction Society (ASFS) has announced the winners of the 2020 Nommo Awards. The winners were revealed in a presentation made on 25th October by Mame Bougouma Diene, Setor Fiadzigbey, Chinelo Onwualu, and Tade Thompson at Ake Festival.
The Nommo Awards recognizes the finest fantasy or science fiction works by African writers. The winners are voted on by the members of the African Speculative Fiction Society. The awards are given in four categories: Best Novel ($1000), Best Novella ($500), Best Short Story ($500), and Best Comic or Graphic Novel ($1000).
One of the highlights of this year’s list of winners is Wole Talabi winning the Best Speculative Novella category for the story “Incompleteness Theories.” Talabi’s win comes barely two weeks after his edited collection Africanfuturism: An Anthology was published by Brittle Paper. We are beyond thrilled!
Congratulations to the winners! See the list below.
(Winner) David Mogo, Godhunter, Suyi Davies Okungbowa (Abaddon)
- Sing Down the Stars, Nerine Dorman
- Triangulum, Masande Ntshanga
- War Girls, Tochi Onyebuchi
- The Old Drift, Namwali Serpell
- Rosewater Insurrection, Tade Thompson
(Winner) “Incompleteness Theories” by Wole Talabi in Incomplete Solutions.
Best Short Story
- “Principles of Balance“, Ivana Akotowaa Ofori (Jalada)
- “The Haunting of 13 OlúwoStreet“, Suyi Davies Okungbowa (Fireside)
- “Between the Dark and the Dark“, Deji Bryce Olukotun (Lightspeed)
- “When We Dream We Are Our God“, Wole Talabi (Apex)
Best Comic/Graphic Novel
(Winner) Danfo by Morakinyo Araoye, Steven Akinyemi & Ogim Ekpezu
- Sanu, Ssentongo Charles
- Hawi, Beserat Debebe & Stanley Obende
- Kami, Mika Hirwa
- Beast from Venus, Kiprop Kimutai & Salim Busuru
- Captain South Africa, Bill Masuku
- “Welcome to the Dead World”, Bill Masuku (Sam Graphico Anthology)
- Nani, Ziki Nelson & Jason Lamy
Watch the announcement of the winners: